We invite students, recent graduates, as well as anyone interested in international relations to participate in a fascinating study trip to one of the 4 headquarters of the United Nations – to the UN headquarters in Vienna (other headquarters are located in Geneva (Switzerland), Nairobi (Kenya) and New York (USA).
During the trip, students will be able to not only visit the UN building, but also communicate with the staff of the United Nations and learn about their daily work. And especially for the group a series of lectures about the UN as a whole and its individual units located in Vienna will be organised. The lectures will be conducted by the employees of various departments of the United Nations.
Thus, on one hand, the trip will give an idea of the immediate work of the UN; and on the other hand, will allow to directly communicate with the staff of various departments. In addition, the program has entertaining and cultural elements. Participants will explore the city and visit the main attractions of Vienna. Also, students will have free time in the city. After the program students will receive a document confirming participation in a study trip to the United Nations in Vienna.
Study trip to the United Nations – an extremely interesting event that combines educational, cultural and entertaining elements in one programs!
The main purpose of the study trip to the United Nations in Vienna is to introduce students to the work of one of the 4 headquarters of the United Nations – to the UN headquarters in Austria.
In the UN students will:
- See the UN complex from inside and outside;
- Know general information about the work of the UN in Austria and in the world;
- Learn about some of the individual units of the United Nations;
- Personally communicate with the staff of the United Nations in Vienna, ask questions;
- Directly observe the working process at the UN;
- Get information about internship opportunities at the United Nations, know how to develop a career in the UN.
You can consult the agenda doing click AGENDA
LANGUAGE OF THE PROGRAM
The program will be conducted in English. All lectures and excursions to the UN will be held in English. Thus, the program, among other things, aims to develop English language skills and is an excellent opportunity to practice.
Vienna – the capital of the mighty Austro-Hungarian Empire – is indeed one of the most beautiful cities in Europe! The city developed as the capital of one of the most powerful empires in Europe; thus the city flourished and a lot of magnificent buildings are still there!
Vienna is more than three thousand years old! The architecture of Vienna covers all major styles from Gothic and Renaissance to postmodernism.
It is also a center for music due to a long line of famous musicians who lived and worked in this city: Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Schubert, Brahms, etc. Also various musical events (such as New Year’s Concert or annual ball at the Vienna Opera) are taking place there. Study trip to the United Nations also makes time to explore this amazing city. A city tour for students is be organised. Also a whole day for leisure activities and museum visits is planed.
UNITED NATIONS HEADQUARTERS IN VIENNA
It is also a center for music due to a long line of famous musicians who lived and worked in this city: Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Schubert, Brahms, etc. Also various musical events (such as New Year’s Concert or annual ball at the Vienna Opera) are taking place there. Study trip to the United Nations also makes time to explore this amazing city. A city tour for students is be organised. Also a whole day for leisure activities and museum visits is planned.
UN headquarters in Vienna includes following units:
- United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV)
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- International Money Laundering Information Network (IMOLIN)
- International Narcotics Control Board (INCB)
- Office for Outer Space Affairs United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA)
- United Nations Information Service (UNIS)
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
- United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR)
- International Trade Law Division of the United Nations Secretariat / United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
- Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS)
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- United Nations Environment Programme – Interim Secretariat of the Carpathian Convention (UNEP Vienna ISCC)
- United Nations Register of Damage Caused by the Construction of the Wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (UNRoD)
Accommodation is provided. Students will live in the hostel in the center of Vienna or close to it. Students will live together with other students from the group. The cost of accommodation is included in the program.
To get around the city, students will be asked to purchase travel cards for public transport. They will be informed about the different kinds of transport cards.
The cost of transportation card is not included in the price and must be paid separately.
An important feature of the program is that it is not only introducing the UN and the city; creating an environment for english language practice, but also giving a chance for a personal contact with the United Nations’ staff. The program has a range of elements – cultural, educational, entertaining, and linguistic!
Thus, the objectives are:
- Introduction to the UN;
- Visitation of Vienna and its major attractions;
- Development of an understanding of the mechanisms of the United Nations;
- Encounter with local youth and acquaintance with the life of modern Europeans;
- Development of English language communication skills;
- Presentation of the internship and career opportunities within UN.
The program costs 390 euros.
You will be able to pay by bank transfer or PayPal.
This price includes accommodation, program in the UN, cultural program (sightseeing tour), and curator services in Vienna. Meals and flight tickets are not included.
HOW CAN YOU APPLY?
The deadline for applicants to participate in the study trip to the United Nations in Vienna is until the 15th of April 2015!
To apply, you have to fill in this form online doing click here
The first visit to the UN in Vienna was organized by the Institute of Humanitarian Development in the October of 2011! Students visited the headquarters of the United Nations, listened the lectures of representatives from different units, interacted with the UN staff, learned about the internship program at the United Nations, and enjoyed one of the most beautiful cities in Europe – Vienna! The second visit took place in the November of 2012!